CARES ACT SMALL BUSINESS GRANT PROGRAM
The City of Waukegan CDBG Program is administering a special allocation of CDBG funds to be used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic. This allocation was authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) passed by the Federal government on March 27, 2020. The City of Waukegan CDBG Program will use these funds to aid in the stabilization of existing small brick and mortar businesses within the City of Waukegan that have had significant business disruption due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Independently or family-owned businesses with no more than 25 employees
• Documented business interruption as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and related emergency declaration, resulting in financial loss
• Business must have been opened prior to December 31, 2019 and operating on March 1, 2020
• Must be a Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, S-Corporation, Corporation, Individual, or LLC/LLP
• Active business physically located in the City of Waukegan, with a net annual business income of less than $500,000 based on their 2020 federal tax return
These grant funds will assist small businesses in Waukegan to pay for the following:
• Payroll (employee retention/new hire)
• Delinquent Rental/Lease Payments
• Delinquent Utilities
• Increase Technology
• Related costs to ensure safe work environment (equipment, training, supplies, professional cleaning)
The maximum grant amount will be $25,000 for demonstrated cost. For an application and eligibility criteria, please contact Sharon Zavala or Laraesa Garland at (847) 599-2530, CDBG@waukeganil.gov or the website www.waukeganil.gov. There you will find the eligibility, instructions, and the online application.
There is an online application that is to be completed and submitted online, if you chose. The required documents must be received before processing the application. The required attachments are to be submitted by either:
1) Scanning and emailing to CDBG@waukeganil.gov or;
2) Placing the required documents in an envelope and dropping them off at the CDBG Department located at 100 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, 3rd Floor in Waukegan City Hall.
The application is available by clicking HERE.