Heating & Cooling
Permits are required for all heating, ventilation, and air conditioning work within the City of Waukegan (replacements included).
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED PRIOR TO STARTING ANY WORK. THE DATE OF THE APPLICATION WILL BE HONORED IN CASES OF EMERGENCY IF YOU ARE A REGISTERED HVAC CONTRACTOR WITH THE CITY OF WAUKEGAN.
All applications need to be submitted online at this time
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION must be filled out in full to be processed and include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties that includes a written scope of work to include BTU and SEER ratings
- If modifications or additional duct work is included in your scope, a drawing of the current HVAC and proposed will be required Scope of Work Drawing Example
- Plat of Survey - ONLY IF EXTERIOR EQUIPMENT WILL BE RELOCATED with location of the proposed work marked clearly with setbacks from lot lines. Only complete applications will be accepted (drawing to scale MAY be accepted) DRAWING TO SCALE EXAMPLE
- Proper contractor registration (see below)
Contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION. The following items are required with your registration:
- COI (Certificate of Insurance) includes; comprehensive liability general aggregate $2,000,000, proof of workers compensation, CITY OF WAUKEGAN, AS ADDITIONAL INSURED
- Copy of EPA Card
- $100.00 Annual Registration Fee
ROUGH AND FINAL INSPECTIONS
Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract, minimum of $125.00 for construction value under $3,000.00 OR a $150.00 base + 3% of value over $3,001.00. HVAC Plan Review Fees from a flat fee of $75.00 up to 1.5% of the construction value will be assessed. A $75.00 charge will be assessed for failed and no show inspections. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED