Garage / Shed / Carport
Permits are required for all garages, sheds, and any proposed accessory structures within the City of Waukegan (replacements included).
Processing of each application may take up to 21 business days during construction season.
All applications need to be submitted online at this time
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION must be filled out in full to be processed and include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties
- Construction Drawings for the structure (to include electric). A concrete slab is required for all accessory structures.
- Plat of Survey - with location of the proposed work marked clearly with setbacks from lot lines. Only complete applications will be accepted (drawing to scale MAY be accepted in some cases) DRAWING TO SCALE EXAMPLE
- Proper contractor registration (see below)
Contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION The following items are required with your registration:
- COI (Certificate of Insurance) includes; comprehensive liability general aggregate $2,000,000, proof of workers compensation (OR WAIVER), CITY OF WAUKEGAN, AS ADDITIONAL INSURED
- $100.00 Annual Registration Fee
- PRE-POUR/BASE INSPECTION
General Construction Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract, minimum of $75.00 for value under $3,000.00. $125.00 base + 3% of construction cost over $3,001.00 value. Electrical Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract, minimum of $125.00 for value under $3,000.00 OR a $150.00 base + 3% of value over $3,001.00. Plan Review Fees from a flat fee of $75.00 up to 1.5% of the construction value will be assessed along with a flat Zoning Review Fee of $150.00. A $75.00 charge will be assessed for failed and no show inspections. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED