Permits are required for all demolition within the City of Waukegan.
Processing of each application may take up to 21 business days during construction season.
If you are demolishing a garage or accessory structure please reference Accessory Structure Demolition
All applications need to be submitted online at this time
DEMOLITION PERMIT APPLICATION must include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract for temporary demolition fencing (6’ chainlink required)
- Plan to cap the Water/Sewer lines at the main (only exception is when new construction plans have been submitted)
- ComEd - Letter of Disconnection
- North Shore Gas - Letter of Disconnection
- Proper contractor registration (see below)
Contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION. The following items are required with your registration:
- COI (Certificate of Insurance) includes; comprehensive liability general aggregate $2,000,000, proof of workers compensation, CITY OF WAUKEGAN, AS ADDITIONAL INSURED
- $15,000 License and Permit Bond
- $100.00 Annual Registration Fee
- CAPPING/FENCING INSPECTION
- BACKFILL INSPECTION
- FINAL GRADING INSPECTION
Permit pricing is calculated based on cubic square feet (BASE FEE + $2.00 PER 1,000 cubic feet of volume) with a $100.00 base fee. Plan Review and Inspection Fees of $325.00 are accessed for all demolition permits. Parkway Opening $100.00 each, Street Opening $500.00 each, and Sidewalk Removal at $125.00 per square. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED