Permits are required for all signs within the City of Waukegan (replacements included).
Processing of each application may take up to 21 business days during construction season.
All applications need to be submitted online at this time
30 day temporary sign applications can be submitted to Temporary Sign Application
Requests for Permanent Sign Applications can be submitted to Sign Application
Applications must be approved by the Sign Inspector and paid for prior to work being conducted. All sign fees and complete requirements can be found in the City of Waukegan Sign Ordinance.
Applications must be filled out in full to be processed and include the following attachments:
- Scale drawing of the sign(s)
- Scale drawing of the property showing the location of any ground sign proposed to include setback distance from lot lines.
- Plans and specifications for sign installation.
- Electrical diagrams and specifications (if sign includes electric)
- Sign contractor’s insurance.
- License and Permit Bond
Contractor Registration Requirements
Sign Contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED
POST HOLE/FOOTING INSPECTIONS ARE REQUIRED
ELECTRICAL ROUGH INSPECTIONS (IF SIGN INCLUDES ELECTRIC)
VIEW FULL SIGN ORDINANCE AND REQUIREMENTS AT
CITY OF WAUKEGAN SIGN ORDINANCE