Hardsurfacing / Hardscaping
Permits are required for all hardsurfacing/hardscaping within the City of Waukegan (replacements included).
Examples of Hardsurfacing / Hardscaping
Driveway Replacement/Expansion, Patios, Slab, Interior Sidewalks, Retaining Walls, Fire pits. Common materials: concrete, asphalt, stone, brick, etc. GRAVEL is not an approved hard surface within the City of Waukegan
Processing of each application may take up to 21 business days during construction season.
All applications need to be submitted online at this time
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION must include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties
- Scope of Work to include; location of the improvement, the width, pitch, thickness and type of materials. Required Specifications HARDSURFACING REQUIREMENTS 18-187 If you plan on cutting the curb, replacing your approach or City owned sidewalk, additional fees to include plan review by our Engineering Department will be required
- Plat of Survey - with location of the proposed work marked clearly with setbacks from lot lines. Only complete applications will be accepted (drawing to scale MAY be accepted) DRAWING TO SCALE EXAMPLE
- Proper contractor registration (see below)
Contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION The following items are required with your registration:
- COI (Certificate of Insurance) includes; comprehensive liability general aggregate $2,000,000, proof of workers compensation, CITY OF WAUKEGAN, AS ADDITIONAL INSURED
- $100.00 Annual Registration Fee
- PRE-POUR/BASE INSPECTION
Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract, minimum of $75.00 for value under $3,000.00. $125.00 base + 3% of construction cost over $3,001.00 value. oning Review Fee of $150.00. A $75.00 charge will be assessed for failed and no show inspections. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED