Permits are required for all fences within the City of Waukegan (replacements included).
Processing of each application may take up to 21 business days during construction season.
Please contact the Planning & Zoning Department with any questions regarding fencing restrictions at 847-625-6878 FRONT YARD AND CORNER SIDE YARD FENCING RESTRICTIONS
All applications need to be submitted online at this time
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION must include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties
- Height and material type must be included on the contract
- Plat of Survey (drawing to scale may be accepted) DRAWING TO SCALE EXAMPLE
- Proper contractor registration (see below)
All fence contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION. The following items are required with your registration:
- COI (Certificate of Insurance) includes; comprehensive liability general aggregate $2,000,000, proof of workers compensation, CITY OF WAUKEGAN, AS ADDITIONAL INSURED
- $100.00 Annual Registration Fee
- POST HOLE INSPECTIONS ARE REQUIRED - MINIMUM DEPTH OF 36"
- FINAL (PANELS MUST BE FACED WITH THE FINISHED SIDE TOWARDS YOUR NEIGHBOR
Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract, minimum of $75.00 for value under $3,000.00. $125.00 base + 3% of construction cost over $3,001.00 value. Zoning Review Fee of $150.00 will be assessed. A $75.00 charge will be assessed for failed and no show inspections. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED