Permits are required for all roofing work within the City of Waukegan (repairs under 1 square may be exempt by order of the Building Official). PRINTABLE ROOFING CHECKLIST
Over the counter permits are NOT guaranteed, however, the Building Department staff will issue over the counter permits in emergency situations if paperwork is in order with management approval. Processing of each application may take up to 10 business days during construction season.
All applications need to be submitted in person on the 3rd floor at 100 N Martin Luther King Jr Ave, Waukegan, IL 60085. Office hours are 8am- 4pm Monday thru Friday.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION must be filled out in full to be processed and include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties
- Number of Square and cost breakdown must be included on the contract
- Proper contractor registration and state license (see below)
Contractor Registration Requirements
Roofing contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan and provide a copy of their State of Illinois License CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION
License Holder must pull permits (exceptions listed below)
- Notarized letter of authorization on file, signed by the license holder.
- Letter of authorization on Company Letterhead on file, with a list of employees.
- ID must be provided by authorized employees.
PERMITS ARE REQUIRED TO BE POSTED IN FRONT WINDOW WHILE WORK IS COMPLETED
NO INSPECTIONS REQUIRED
COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL ROOFING WORK MUST BE COMPLETED BY AN UNLIMITED LICENSEE
RE-ROOFING ONLY ALLOWED UP TO 2 LAYERS OF SHINGLES
Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.