Permits are required for all roofing work within the City of Waukegan (minor repairs may be exempt by order of the Building Official).
All applications need to be submitted online.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION must include the following attachments:
- Copy of the Proposal/Contract between Contractor and Property owner, signed by both parties
- Number of Square and cost breakdown must be included on the contract
- Proper contractor registration and state license (see below)
Roofing contractors need to be registered with the City of Waukegan and provide a copy of their State of Illinois License CONTRACTOR REGISTRATION APPLICATION. The following items are required with your registration:
- COI (Certificate of Insurance) includes; comprehensive liability general aggregate $2,000,000, proof of workers compensation, CITY OF WAUKEGAN, AS ADDITIONAL INSURED
- Copy of State of Illinois Roofing License
- $100.00 Annual Registration Fee
License Holder must pull permits (exceptions listed below)
- Notarized letter of authorization on file, signed by the license holder.
- Letter of authorization on Company Letterhead on file, with a list of employees.
- ID must be provided by authorized employees.
ADDITIONAL ROOFING REQUIREMENTS
- COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL ROOFING WORK MUST BE COMPLETED BY AN UNLIMITED LICENSEE
- RE-ROOFING ONLY ALLOWED UP TO 2 LAYERS OF SHINGLES
- MINIMUM OF 24” OF ICE AND WATER SHIELD IS REQUIRED
NO INSPECTIONS REQUIRED
Permit pricing is calculated based on the amount of the contract. Permit Fees will be doubled for any work started without an official permit posted.
DIGITAL PERMIT COPIES MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST WHILE WORK IS BEING COMPLETED