Downtown Parking Details
- Public parking in the municipal parking garage at 225 N. County Street, Lot C, is $1 per hour.
- All downtown parking meters have a two hour time limit.
- Meters cost $0.25 for each half hour.
- Parking meters are strictly enforced between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Parking fines are $20 per violation.
- We have set up an automated help line at 847-599-2627 that is available 24 hours a day for any customers that require more information.
Alternate Parking Laws
The Alternate Parking Ordinance states that vehicles must park on the odd side of the street on odd calendar days and the even numbered side of the street on even calendar days. The ordinance is strictly enforced by the Waukegan Police Department daily from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 a.m.
The alternate parking ordinance has been in effect for more than thirty years to increase safety on city streets during winter weather and to better identify abandoned vehicles year round. Closely monitoring on-street parking during snow storms allows public works crews to quickly and more efficiently remove snow to make streets drivable. The penalty for not complying with alternate parking is a $25 ticket.
Read the Waukegan design review guide (PDF) to learn about the city's parking layout.
You can view the downtown parking map (PDF) to see what areas qualify as downtown.