Statement of Intent
Human Resources will take a leadership role and provide service in support of the City of Waukegan's vision by promoting the concept that our employees are our most valuable resource and will be treated as such.
The Human Resources department will act as a promoter to enable all City of Waukegan's employees' to contribute at optimum levels toward the success of the City's business to the residents and business owners of Waukegan.
We will do this by:
- Ensuring that the Human Resources department staff are given the tools, training and motivation to operate in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Hiring the most qualified employees by: pre-planning staffing needs, ensuring an effective internal interview process and conducting thorough reference checks.
- Promoting and recruiting the best qualified people, recognizing and encouraging the value of diversity in the workplace.
- Ensuring a diverse workforce in a safe, healthy and discrimination/harassment free environment by: establishing, administering and effectively communicating sound policies, rules and practices that treat employees with dignity and equality while maintaining compliance with employment and labor laws, the City's directives and labor agreements.
- Providing management training and development in areas of effective leadership and career development of employees, employment law and government regulation, and litigation avoidance.
- Retaining our valued employees by assuring effective leadership qualities in our managers; providing competitive wages and benefits; furnishing technical, interpersonal and career development training and coaching via the City's educational benefit program; conducting exit interviews and supplying relevant feedback to management; and enhancing two-way communication between employees and management.
- Properly balancing the needs of the employees and the needs of the City.
- Providing inspiration and encouragement for a high level of employee morale through recognition, effective communication and constant feedback.
Human Resources Philosophy
The philosophy of the Human Resources department is to serve as the liaison between employees and management staff while ensuring that both parties are compliant with all applicable Federal and State laws, City policies and labor agreements.
The Human Resources department has three key focuses that need constant devotion in order to successfully enhance the business operations of the City. This includes the employees, management and internal human resources departmental needs.